Outside the usual format of my blog post, I recorded the speakers and various notes I had on each from the brilliant day that was TEDxSouthBank 2014, as below.
For your enjoyment and future reference, enjoy!
Digi Youth Arts performers
- Wow, what an opener! Quite emotional, actually.
- What IF?
- Creativity helps define the future
- Celebrate the creative you
- Get analogue! Draw, scribble, paint, write, and more. Anything!
- Practice: close your eyes and draw a self portrait. Marvel at your creation
Dr Bella Ellwood-Clayton
- Sexuality is an individual choice, but extremely influenced by social and cultural factors
- Vulnerability is the birthplace of all emotion
- Creator, Challenger, Coach. NOT Villain, Victim, Rescuer
- Super bananas!
- I also drew a pair of banana jeans
Vulcana Women’s Circus
- I've heard so many of these examples of sexism
- There's so many inspiring women who have lived, and still do live, before me
One Minute Presentations
- Upgrade from small talk
- You’re not alone
- Odd socks rock
- Rollercoasters are amazing
- Suicide is everyone’s problem
- Is the information inadequate, irrelevant or excessive?
- Note to self: grab a coffee with this guy
- Small changes = habit
- Think big and spread it!
- What CAN I DO?
- DAMN, rock violin is awesome!
- Ageing rocks
- Be yourself
- Stop female gaze
- Just... YES!
- What’s your simple, big vision?
- Is it safe for people to discuss their fears?
- Fear creates priorities and methods
- Focus on the NEXT milestone in the plan
- Build capabilities that close the gap
- Attend to opportunities as well as risks
- Work together and break down silos (top-down only communication)
- I’m not dead yet!
- Can we do better?
- Own your face
- Choose YOUR beauty
- Be present
- Think again when it comes to donating to charities
- Sometimes you really do have to use the word ‘BULLSHIT.’
- Use mentors
- Mentor someone completely different
- Everyone has something they can share with others, and also something they can learn from others
- There is science in mythology
- Dude's got some serious chops
- Get those lyrics!
It was a HUGE day. Thank you to all the speakers, event sponsors, State Library of QLD, the TEDxSouthBank team and my fellow attendees.